Thursday, June 4, 2009

Tastworthy Thursday: Fleur de Sel Caramels

Sorry guys, I totally flaked on Tuesday and forgot about my food related post. On the recommendation Nichole, who has fabulous taste, I ordered myself a box of assorted caramels from Galipette, a French Pastry Lab in Paris. For the past week I've been thoroughly enjoying the chocolate cocoa nib caramels and the toasted hazelnut caramels. It wasn't until this evening that I happened upon the salted caramels in the box.


Dream. While the other caramel flavors are delicious there is something so wonderful about the simple confection and the combination of salty and sweet. A package of Galipette caramels is reasonably priced, however having them shipped from Paris can get a bit pricey. Since this appears to be a habit that I will not be able to break anytime soon I need to get a bit industrious. I'm going to try my hand at candy making and try to whip up some salted caramels of my own.



After some web crawling I found a recipe that got a lot of great ratings. I'm going to give it a shot and I'll let you know how it goes. If you have ever tried making caramels before I would love to hear about the experience.


Fleur de Sel Caramels
makes about 40 pieces


Ingredients:




  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
  • 1 teaspoon fleur de sel
  • 1 1/2 cups sugar
  • 1/4 cup light corn syrup
  • 1/4 cup water


Instructions:



Line bottom and sides of an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper, then lightly oil parchment.
Bring cream, butter, and fleur de sel to a boil in a small saucepan, then remove from heat and set aside.
Boil sugar, corn syrup, and water in a 3- to 4-quart heavy saucepan, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Boil, without stirring but gently swirling pan, until mixture is a light golden caramel.
Carefully stir in cream mixture (mixture will bubble up) and simmer, stirring frequently, until caramel registers 248°F on thermometer, 10 to 15 minutes. Pour into baking pan and cool 2 hours. Cut into 1-inch pieces, then wrap each piece in a 4-inch square of wax paper, twisting 2 ends to close.

Design Evolution updates via RSS feed or email.



Photo Credits: Galipette

6 comments:

  1. My mouth watered just reading about this. I love the sugar/salt combo. Let us know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was addicted to the salted caramel hot chocolate from Starbucks this winter. I would love to try some of these, I can't wait to hear how your recipe turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, I'm with Tonya - I love the salted caramel hot chocolate! These sound really good :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe I didn't know salted caramel hot chocolate existed. They better bring it back this winter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Between you and Nichole raving about these caramels, I'm dying to try them. Hope your homemade versions come out well

    ReplyDelete
  6. So do i! Maybe I can go into business stateside :) Just need Nichole to find me a resource for French butter.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis