Wednesday, July 15, 2009

What Word Would You Use to Describe Your Decorating Style?

Apparently my design style can be summed up with one word: eclectic. For reasons that I don't fully understand, I really dislike the use of that word. It could be that it conjures up images of homes a mess with a hodge podge of too many styles, no attempt made to cohesively blend these styles and homeowners cheerfully describing this mess as "eclectic" (a scenario that usually takes place on HGTV).

Last fall I signed up for a Home Decorating course at my local adult school. On the first night of class the teacher had everyone rummage through her piles of home decor magazines and cut out five or six photos that grabbed their attention. She then went around the room, reviewed the photos, and diagnosed each person's design style. Individuals were defined by labels like Traditional, French Country, Shabby Chic, etc. When she sat down next to me and took a look at my photos I quickly noticed the furrowed brow. I explained how my taste generally leans towards Mid Century but I am often drawn to feminine and ethnic print fabrics and really enjoy a worn wooden flea market furniture piece. She then exclaimed, "Your style is actually not hard to define at all, it's Eclectic." Great. How anticlimactic.

From that point on I decided that I would prefer to consider my style undefined (and perhaps, undefinable) and I'm totally fine with that. I will continue to pull together pieces that are mid century, bohemian, sometimes feminine, modern, etc. What's important is that instead of noticing a room full of random pieces you will see a finished product that looks purposely pulled together and just feels good.

Here's some photos of what many would consider to be "eclectic" rooms that are done to perfection:


patric johansson via desire to inspire

Can you describe your decorating style with one or a few words or would you prefer to remain undefined?


Sign up to receive Design Evolution updates via RSS feed or email.

11 comments:

  1. minimalist

    No doubt about it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a warm modernist or tropical modernist :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like "Bohemian Chic" but I suspect that's a euphemism for eclectic... Love the images you posted above - I just used the Patric Johansson in a blog post a while ago. What an amazing room!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tropical Modernist - Catherine, I love that!

    Aimee, for me that Patric Johansson room is perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You and I have nearly identical styles/tastes. I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who hates it when people say it's "eclectic". No. It's not "eclectic". It's just me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there. I loved your choice of photos. Really inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great photos of electric interior designs. Actually, you have a very good choice of colors and designs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha! i'm the same way; I suppose I can't describe it any other way than eclectic b/c I tend to go all over the map. We could call it "anti-depressive living" like Jonathan Adler!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Greetings,

    I have a message for the webmaster/admin here at www.designevolutionblog.com.

    Can I use part of the information from your blog post right above if I give a link back to this website?

    Thanks,
    James

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Anonymous James, sharing is encouraged. As long as you link back and don't copy an entire post word for word you are free to quote portions of Design Evolution on your site.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello there,

    I have a inquiry for the webmaster/admin here at www.designevolutionblog.com.

    Can I use some of the information from your blog post right above if I give a backlink back to your website?

    Thanks,
    William

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis