Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Reader Question: What is the Best White Paint?

I often receive questions from readers in the comments section of the blog that I usually answer in a follow up comment. It dawned on me recently that many other readers may benefit from the answer to that question but might miss it since it's tucked away in the comments of an old post. From now on if a reader asks an interesting question in the comments I will create a new blog post with the answer. This way everyone benefits and it also gives you the opportunity to add any additional helpful information you might have to help answer a fellow readers query.

"What is the best white paint?"
-Anonymous

Best White Paint

Pictured above are a few of my favorite white paint colors. Swiss Coffee and Swan Wing are very similar paint colors so it's just a matter of brand preference. They are both just slightly off white and a little warm. If what you are looking for is totally pure bright white you can't beat Ultra Pure White by Behr. With some research and polling I've discovered that Ultra Pure White is whiter and brighter than Super White and Decorator White by Benjamin Moore and Sherwin Williams Extra White.

What is your favorite white paint?

12 comments:

  1. pratt and lamber'st, designer white :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Benjamin Moore's White Dove for trim. Luscious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They're all good, one thing to keep in mind, is returning unopened cans. Sherwin-Williams best selling White that is stocked on the shelves, which allows you can return unopened cans is Dover White.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the Behr Ultra Pure White. I live in an old house & I like that the brightness perks up the house & makes the woodwork look not-so-beat-up :) I also like being able to buy a 5 gallon bucket of it to save $$. (Can you tell I recently painted all the trim & baseboards?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute blog!

    As a designer my all time fav, most used white paint that works everywhere without getting chalky or boring is Sherwin Williams Ibis White. It works well around other colors and reflects well without getting clinical and cold.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are warmer whites/off whites more appropriate for an older home? I'm looking for the right white to keep that older home look.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes! I think so. I have a lot of old brown wood trim in my house that is definitely showing its age. I painted over my very white walls with "Beach White" by Behr, a great warm white with a good portion of brown, but much more creamy/ivory than the Swiss Coffee recommended above. Now the old wood trim blends with the color and sort of resembles driftwood on a beach.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Sean That sounds great and thank you for the color recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cloud White- is a benjamin moore colour available in canada. Perfect. Especially in a flat finish.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Acadia and Timid white by Benjamin Moore are really nice off-whites with a hint of yellow

    ReplyDelete
  11. Swiss coffee is a favorite of mine as well. I even use on sheds I build. Looks nice with white trim.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis