Monday, January 11, 2010

The Humphrey's Brooklyn Loft

I'm about four seasons behind on this one but I just recently downloaded the first season of Gossip Girl and I'm totally hooked. It's trashy, over-dramatic, set in NYC with cute boys, amazing wardrobe and sets. What's not to love? The sets are especially amazing and while the Waldorf penthouse is certainly one to drool over, I can't get enough of the Humphrey's artsy Brooklyn loft. It's seems the loft resides in a rather ambiguous location as the pilot episode alluded to them living in Williamsburg, the exterior of the loft building is in Dumbo and the interior is actually shot in a building in Long Island City. Where ever it's supposed to be I'm completely in love with it.

Humphrey Loft Gossip Girl

Humphrey Loft Gossip Girl

While I would probably change a lot of things about the decor two things that would definitely stay are the tattered, vintage oriental rugs and that amazing chesterfield sofa. Both of those things in a more traditional are of no interest to me but in this industrial loft they are amazing. I searched long and hard but couldn't find good photos of the fabulous kitchen or the garage door that separates two of the bedroom spaces but at least these photos show the white washed exposed brick and the massive barn-like front door.
Humphrey Loft Gossip Girl

This and other sets on Gossip Girl are decorated by
Christina Tonkin who previously worked for production designer Jeremy Conway decorating sets for Sex and the City. Those are pretty fabulous jobs, huh?

This next photo as nothing to do with the Humphrey's Loft, it is actually Lily Van der Woodsen's office, but it is too fabulous not to share.

Lily's Office Gossip Girl

Check out that Eames lounger upholstered in Missoni fabric, could you die?

Photo Credits: Photos 1, 2, &3 - Malchus Janocko; Photo 4 - Jonny Valiant

Sign up to receive Design Evolution updates via RSS feed or email.

11 comments:

  1. I agree with switching up the decor. The chesterfield sofa is a bright spot because it's unexpected in that space and the color breaks up the ruddy tones.

    I would want the carpets to be more geometric. I think it would lend a much-need pop without looking to contrived as these loft spaces tend to become.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so thumbs up with keeping the sofa...
    Love it against that earthy backdrop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love their kitchen and crazy walls. Lilly's place is a bit overdone for me though.

    My favorite GG related blog is What Chuck Wore:

    http://whatchuckwore.tumblr.com/

    He has the greatest sartorial sensibility! And the FUNNIEST lines. I always giggle thinking about what Joel McHale will do with the Chuck Bassism's each week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Becky, that blog is fantastic. I'm following immediately.

    “Hrmph. I look way better in white. Whatever. I’ll just be over here, brooding in a somewhat creepy fashion.” HA!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This loft is the very well designed and has an immaculate taste for an excellent home decor.Love the way it is done up with the use of vibrant colors to make the space look even more bigger.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always wanted to live in a loft and after seeing these pictures i want it even more... great selection!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the sofa and the arched green doors. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Humphries loft is great because it's cozy and comfy with enough space for records and books and colors that inspire them. They're bohemians. Which, while it's become stylish, means that they don't need their space to conform to someone else's idea about what looks good. They're just trying to live their lives. Thank-you. At least that's what they're supposed to be.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've had a huge crush on the place since the first time I saw it. I hope I'll have my own place like that someday. Especially the shelf with all the photos I like a lot and the brick wall. Here in Holland we don't have walls looking like that very often..

    www.chucksonandgo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I absolutely ADORE their loft, not to mention the show in general. If I ever bought a place to live, I would choose a loft, hands down.

    xoxo,
    www.thelushfleet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Unknown location but seems to be in DUMBO. Inside the loft is amazing.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis