Tuesday, April 24, 2012

GMCLA & It Gets Better - What I've Been Up to

I think I owe you a "Since I've Been Laid Off Update" just like I gave you a Wedding Planning Update and I'll have a more in depth one for you soon but for today I just wanted to let you in on a few things I've been working on. Especially since I've been MIA, I promise I have a good excuse.


This past week and half I've thrown myself head first into a PR project and I'm learning as I go. My oldest brother is the Interim Executive Director of the Gay Men's Chorus of Los Angeles (GMCLA). How cool is that? Most recently the GMCLA has teamed up with the It Gets Better Project to take the message of "It Gets Better" offline and produce a touring stage production that will include a mixture of music, multimedia, and live theater. At each stop of the U.S. tour performances will be presented in tandem with a weeklong series of community outreach activities to strengthen local LGBT support networks.


Hundreds of hours will be volunteered by the artistic and producing team to create this show, but money is still needed to help fund the show’s development costs. Equipment is also needed to stage and tour the show, including microphones and other audio equipment, instruments, costumes, props, set materials, and road gear to house it all. In order to fund the production the team has created a Kickstarter campaign. The goal is to raise $75,000 and with only 6 days left we still need to raise about $20,000. 








I've been busy emailing bloggers and newspapers, tweeting celebrities who are active in the LGBT community, creating Facebook ad campaigns, and reaching out to any connection I have.  It's hard work but I have to say, when you are passionate about the project it's very rewarding and doesn't feel that difficult. I'm confident that the goal will be met but we can use all the help we can get so please forward this on to anyone you know who might be interested in donating or writing about the project. Here are the important links: 


GMCLA & It Gets Better Kickstarter Campaign 


GMCLA & It Gets Better Multimedia Press Release 


Want to hear something crazy? I tweeted to Lady Gaga about the project and  she actually has the video posted to the Born This Way Foundation's blog. Nice to know that she actually reads what people write to her. 


My final plea to you - please pledge, share on facebook, tweet, blog, tumble, add the widget to your sidebar, etc. Thank you!

Make a Donation Directly to It Gets Better

1 comment:

ShareThis