Tuesday, April 28, 2009

What Kind of House Plant Are You?

I have aspirations of being a great gardener one day.  I imagine my yard as the secret garden with winding paths, benches to rest your feet, and wildflowers abound.  Two problems: 1. I don't have the greenest of thumbs and 2. I don't actually have a yard, yet.  Until the day comes when I have a yard with a garden that I can putter around in I get my green fix with my few little house plants.  In case you are like me and don't have a green thumb I found this short fun quiz from Better Homes and Gardens (Find the Best Indoor Plants for You) that helps you figure out what the best house plants for your home would be.  It turns out that I have already made some smart purchases because according to my quiz results one of the best plants for my home is the ubiquitous Pothos:   

I bought that and another plant from Ikea on a whim one shopping trip for $1.99 a piece and it turns out to be one of my smarter plant purchases.  I can't say the same for the several orchids I've killed and the Meyer Lemon Tree that's dieing a slow death in the corner of my living room.  This little plant is happy and thriving in my not so brightly lit condo.  It also doesn't seem to mind too much when I negelect to water it for a few weeks.

I put together a short list of other EXTREMELY hardy house plants for those of you who feel like your home, condo, apartment could use a little more life.  The links below the plants take you to pages with more information about how to care for each plant: 
 
1. Snake Plant  2. Jade  3. Zeezee Plant  4. Hoya  5. Boston Fern 

If you take a few minutes to take the quiz stop back here and let me know the results!

Sign up to receive Design Evolution updates via RSS feed or email.

4 comments:

  1. Ooh, my thumb is not so green, either. In fact, I think it's more on the ashy grey/black side. I seriously kill everything I touch. But we've got a lemon tree blooming on our patio right now. (Knock on wood). But I've even killed bamboo...isn't that supposed to be impossible to kill?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an accomplishment. Bamboo actually grows on the side of the New Jersey Turnpike

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spider plants are my favourite house plant... they are super duper easy to grow, and they sprout crazy fast (with lil spiderlets to replant!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I took the quiz and it recommended the snake plant, ZZ plant, and ponytail palm. Since snakes make me nervous and I'm not a fan of ZZ Top, I will go with the ponytail.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis