Thursday, December 10, 2009

Valerie Pasquiou, Interior Designer & Stylist

Before I get into talking about the girl crush I have developed on Valerie Pasquiou, I'd like to take a moment to tell you how much I am enjoying Loft Life magazine. It's the first shelter magazine I've come across in awhile that I actually want to READ front to back. I know a magazine about loft life attracts a specific audience so if you are not generally interested in urban loft style living you may not think to pick it up. I'd like to encourage you to check it out anyway. The writing is fantastic and stories are really interesting, take this months look into Wilco's Chicago studio recording space. It's a much more than a "look at pictures of pretty and extremely expensive homes" magazine. The website is great too. They often expand upon stories in the magazine with more photos online and have some decent blog contributers.

picnikfile_ROXRYW


Now for the real subject of today's post - Valerie Pasquiou. I was instantly drawn to the photos of her home (thank you
tumblr) before I even knew who they belonged to. Once I read the interview with her I was instantly smitten. Valerie shares so many of the same theories what it takes to be an interior designer as I do. She talks about how important the chemistry behind a designer and their client is, how you must be extremely attentive and a good listener, and how overly polished homes lack character and personality.


My favorite part of the interview was where she discussed her distaste for homes with a "showroom look". Valerie believes the two most important factors in interior design are staying true to the personality of the client and a willingness to keep pieces they are attached to. You have to tell the story of the person who lives there and this is what will gives the space personality. I recommend that you check out the entire interview. It can be found the Loft Life website
here.

Photo Credit: Tom Ackerman for Loft Life

Sign up to receive Design Evolution updates via RSS feed or email.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the recommendation! I've been trying to figure out what magazines I want to subscribe to, to fill in the gaps of what are gone lately! Your website looks great :)

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis