Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Confectioner: Whimsy and Spice

Tuesdays are usually the day I share one of my recipes with you but I'm taking a break from that to introduce you to an amazing confectioner - Whimsy and Spice.  If you have a hankering for something sweet (or even not too sweet but equally delicious) I would highly recommend giving one of their treats a try.  My most recent order included the Earl Grey Sandwich Cookies and the Homemade Maple Marshmallows.   The cookies were so yummy and unlike any cookie I've ever tasted before.  You can really taste the maple syrup in the marshmallows.  The flavor is really interesting and they are not as sickeningly sweet as a store bought marshmallow.  Not interested in doing baking yourself why not pick up an interesting and delightful treat from Whimsy and Spice instead?  

Since I don't have one of my own recipes today I'll share a recipe from Sweet Fine Day, the blog maintained by Jenna and Mark the owners of Whimsy and Spice.  I followed this recipe for Baked Macaroni and Cheese last week and it was so yummy, gooey and deliciously cheesy.  


Baked Macaroni and Cheese (makes a deep 9×13-inch pan)


Ingredients: 


1 pound macaroni 

1/4 cup butter 

1/4 cup flour 

3 cups milk 

15 ounces ricotta cheese 

10 ounces grated cheese (cheddar, jack, swiss, or any other good melting cheese will do) 

Salt, pepper, and grated nutmeg to taste


Instructions: 


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Cook the macaroni according to the package’s instructions. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a medium saucepan. When melted and bubbling, whisk in the flour. Stir and cook for one minute. Whisk in the milk just a little bit at a time, waiting until the previous addition has been incorporated before adding more. When all the milk has been added, cook on medium heat for a few minutes until it has noticeably thickened. Remove from the heat. When the macaroni has finished cooking, drain it and then add it to the white sauce. Stir well, then stir in the ricotta and half of the grated cheese. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Pour into a buttered 9×13-inch pan. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on the top, then put it into the oven. Bake for about 20 minutes, until hot and bubbling. If you like a crisp top, cook it under the broiler for several minutes. Serve immediately.


Photo Credits: All photos taken by Jenna from Whimsy and Spice (Isn't she a wonderful photographer?)

Sign up to receive Design Evolution updates via RSS or email.

4 comments:

  1. m.o.u.t.h. w.a.t.e.r.i.n.g.

    Damn, and all I'm having for dinner is a big old salad and now I'm jonesing for mac 'n' cheese and cookies.

    Adele

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really do have to place an order for her goodies. Thank you for sharing.

    thank you for sharing, jana

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all of their creations. Each is better than the last. So far the butterscotch bars are my favorite (and I'm not even normally a fan of butterscotch... so color me surprised)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i am a mac n cheese recipe collector. maybe because i have two little ones that are such fans?? thanks for the addition!

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis